Are you new to skincare and wondering where to get started? Even after getting all the skincare products, building a routine for your skin type is an essential step. A skincare routine forms the foundation for healthy skin. However, most of the time, while all of us desire healthy skin, we do come across a few hiccups along the way, such as acne, pigmentation, dryness, etc., for which your routine needs to be tailored. We spoke to our expert Malini Adapureddy, Founder and CEO, Deconstruct, who listed tips to master your skincare routine.
How To Start Your Skincare Routine
Adapureddy listed a skincare guide to help you get started as follows:
This is the most basic, yet the most essential step in skincare. Adapureddy said, “The environment is full of toxins and pollutants that could cause a lot of damage to the skin. Therefore, wash your face twice a day to avoid clogged pores, dullness and acne. You must also keep in mind your skin type when selecting a face wash for optimal cleansing.”
Serums are imperative in your skincare routine. Adapureddy said, “The consistency of a serum ensures better absorption into deeper layers of the skin, thus ensuring better delivery of its ingredients to aid in achieving your skincare goals. It is also important to make sure that the ingredients in the serum and their concentrations align with your skincare goal. For example, a serum containing 2% niacinamide and 5% alpha arbutin would work well as a clearing serum for beginners.”
Never skip moisturising as it keeps your skin hydrated. Adapureddy said, “A hydrated skin always provides better texture, evens out the skin, reduces signs of ageing, and supports the skin barrier keeping away the toxins and bacteria in the environment. However, it is important to pick the right moisturiser base depending on your skin type.”
According to Clinical Medicine and Research, moisturisers are used to reduce fine lines, smoothen and hydrate skin, leading to improvement in patient's social life, and psychological satisfaction and quality of life.
Sunscreen is always non-negotiable, regardless of your skincare goal. It protects from the harmful UV rays of the sun that cause a plethora of skincare concerns, such as premature ageing, hyperpigmentation, and in some cases, irreversible skin damage.
Things You Must Know To Customise Your Skincare Routine
Adapureddy listed some pointers to keep in mind when trying to formulate the right routine:
- Understanding your skincare concern and the root cause of it would guide you better in selecting the right products for your skin.
- A little research goes a long way in educating yourself on the role of products and ingredients that would be better suited.
- Providing attention to product labels to understand the ingredients used and their concentrations would also help you assess better which product may be beginner-friendly or advanced.
- Power combinations, or products which contain two actives and potent ingredients would provide multiple benefits in one.
Things To Keep In Mind After Starting Skincare Routine
Once you begin a skincare routine, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Adapureddy said, “It can take weeks or even months to see significant improvements, so be patient and don't expect instant results.”
- Constantly monitor your skin's progress towards your goal and tailor your routine as necessary. If a product does not provide the results or is causing irritation, consider trying an alternative.
[Disclaimer: The information in this article is shared by an expert and is for informational purposes only. Hence, we advise you to consult your expert before starting a skincare routine, especially if you are dealing with any skin conditions.]